Do I Need a Specialist For Uterine Fibroids?

In most instances you will want to consult with a fibroid specialist to determine the best course of action for treatment. A specialist will have focused knowledge on your condition and will be able to guide you in the best direction. The two most common types of specialists for uterine fibroids are a gynecologist and interventional radiologist.

What Kind of Doctor Treats Uterine Fibroids?

Various doctors treat uterine fibroids. Gynecologists are physicians who specialize in female reproductive organs. They can perform surgical treatment on your fibroids. Interventional radiologists are physicians who train in both diagnostic radiology and interventional procedures and are one of the only specialists who can perform the UFE  procedure.

How Will a Houston Doctor Diagnose Fibroids?

Fibroids can be diagnosed in many ways. The first exam will be a gynecologic exam, during which your doctor will feel the size and shape of your uterus. This may reveal fibroids. If your doctor has a high suspicion for fibroids, there are more tests that can be performed.

Doctors and fibroid specialists can use the following tests to check for the presence of uterine fibroids:

  • Ultrasound: This is a safe, non-invasive, and non-irradiating method of looking for fibroids. Ultrasound uses sound waves to characterize tissue.
  • Saline hysterosonography: This is another ultrasound-guided procedure that helps visualize the uterus and endometrium. This is most helpful for diagnosing submucosal fibroids. In this procedure, a catheter is inserted through the cervix and saline is injected and visualized.
  • MRI: This is a more involved imaging test, but is still non-invasive. MRI uses a magnet to take images of the body without radiation.
  • Hysteroscopy: This is a method of visualizing the inside of your uterus. A telescope is inserted through the cervix, which allows for visualization of the uterine cavity.

Lab tests may also provide useful information. Your doctor will probably order tests to assess your complete blood count to determine if you have anemia due to fibroids or other causes.

Will Insurance Pay For a Fibroid Specialist?

Treatment for fibroids is typically covered by insurance. Most insurance providers including Medicare and Medicaid also cover uterine fibroid embolization, one of the newest and least invasive fibroid treatment options.

Doctor Maneevese is a Leading Houston Fibroid Specialist

Dr. Maneevese is a leading fibroid specialist. She is a fellowship trained vascular and interventional radiologist. She trained at University of Texas at Houston and MD Anderson Cancer Center and Yale University in New Haven, CT.